This is the origami printing web tool used to create 3D models from origami pattern images.
Follow these steps to make a 3D file.
- Image Tab
- Dark regions of image will be the final 3D model. White colors will be ignored.
- Given a fold pattern similar to the default image, try the following steps:
- "Greyscale" -> "Invert" -> Increase brightness to whiten colored fold lines -> Increase contrast to distinguish black and white regions
- Click "To SVG" to generate tracing of image to prep for 3D model generation
- Increasing the "White Stroke" will increase the space for folding
- Increasing the "Black Stroke" will cause the opposite of the above to happen
- Click "To 3D" to generate the 3D model
- A 3D viewer will appear to show the resulting 3D model. You can left-click and drag to rotate the model
- By default the 3D model will have a thickness of 1 mm. I recommend changing this to 0.15 mm for printing
- A thin 3D model isn't interesting to view, so download the model with "Download as STL" and start printing!
The full story behind this project is on my website
If you are feeling generous, consider buying me a bag of coffee beans
. I enjoy making delicious coffee with my variety of methods (french press, pour over, slow drip, etc.). Being a college student, I would appreciate any help I can get to replenish my stock. Thank you!